John Ahn
Views : 75934
2010.05.31 (12:25:39)
Sermon Date:  May 23, 2010 
Speaker Name:  Rev. Billy Chung 
Scripture:  Luke 9:23 
Passage:   

null

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 14"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 14"><style> </style>

Luke 9:23-25

Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.

24 For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it.

25 What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?

What is the fasting growing religion in the USA 

Moralistic Therapeutic Deism.

It’s a belief there is a god who made and watches over the earth and wants people to be good, nice, and kind. That’s the moralism part.

The central goal of my life is to be happy and feel good about myself.

God does not need to be particularly involved in my life, doesn’t really place his demands on me, but he is available when needed to solve a problem.

Anything and everything you want you should have. You can be whatever you can be. You can...you can dream your dream and live your dream. The whole goal of life is for you to satisfy all of your desires for rights, pleasure, respect, reward and honor

The Kingdom is not for people who want Jesus to bump them up the social scale. The Kingdom is not for people who want to escape hell. The Kingdom is for people who want their life changed.

2 Timothy 3:1-5

But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days.  2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy,

3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good,

4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God--

5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them.

Self-love is at the top of the list in terms of normal human attitude. Sinners are consumed with pride. They're consumed with themselves. We have made that into THE prominent, dominant virtue in our society.

Indulge yourself, NOT deny yourself is the principle that many people live by including people who call themselves Christians.

If you are not denying yourself……….

you are not following Christ

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Galatians 2:20

Surrender is by choice and continuous. The Greek verb indicates a continuous commitment to the principles of righteousness. It calls us to surrender even when it is inconvenient, when it is uncomfortable, and when it is not what we want to do.  People don’t like to surrender. What sobers me, though, is the fact that I surrender every time I make a decision. I surrender to the adversary, or I surrender to the one who loves me and deserves my love in return. The real issue of our love for the lord is not whether we will surrender but rather to what or to whom we will surrender.  - Joel Stowell

Repentance

There is the word metanoeo, it's used a number of places. It's used in Luke 11:32; Luke 15 verses 7 and 10. And this word, metanoeo,basically expresses a reversal of your thinking, mental attitude. You change your mind about how you view yourself, others and God

Luke 15:8-10

"Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one. Does she not light a lamp, sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it?  9 And when she finds it, she calls her friends and neighbors together and says, 'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost coin.'

10 In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents."

The second word that is used is metamelomai and that's another Greek word that means repentance.

It's used in Matthew 21:29 to 32, only it emphasizes regret and sorrow.

Once the mind has grasped the new definition of who I am, there is a consequent motion that goes from the mind to the feelings and emotion kicks in and there is sorrow and there is shame

"But what do you think? A man had two sons, and he came to the first and said, 'Son, go work today in the vineyard.'

29 "And he answered, 'I will not'; but afterward he regretted it and went.

Matthew 21:28,29

And there's a third word, epistrephomi  that is also the word for repentance.

It's used in Luke 17:4; Luke 22:32. And it actually means you change direction in life and that refers to your will. So it starts in your mind and moves to your emotions and it activates your will.

but I have prayed for you, that your faith may not fail; and you, when once you have turned again, strengthen your brothers.“

Luke 22:32

God wrote history (creation, flood, exodus, etc). How can we possibly think life is about us?

Somewhere between 45 billion and 125 billion people have lived on the earth. In about 50 years, nobody will remember the clothes you wore, where you lived, how much $ you made, etc what you did on the earth except for God.

The only things that matter will be what you did for God.

To take up your cross means being willing to do anything to follow Christ, even dying

As you surrendering yourself totally to God's purposes, He will bring you the most pleasure in this life and the next.

The path of the cross is painful, scary, and uncomfortable but also the path of joy in which you experience God’s presence and power.

Some of the greatest joys in my life are the result of doing what I really didn’t want to do

-Going to U of I

-Becoming a pastor

-Waiting 11 years to get married

-            Leaving my family and home and going to Korea 2x

-becoming a bi-vocational pastor (temporarily)

God’s parenting practices include:

Training His children to do things they do not want to be do

Joseph as a young man

spoiled

insensitive

foolish

Genesis 37:3 Now Israel loved Joseph more than any of his other sons, because he had been born to him in his old age; and he made a richly ornamented robe for him.    - (spoiled)

Genesis 37:9 Then he had another dream, and he told it to his brothers. "Listen," he said, "I had another dream, and this time the sun and moon and eleven stars were bowing down to me.“ – (insensitive and foolish)

So when the Midianite merchants came by, his brothers pulled Joseph up out of the cistern and sold him for twenty shekels of silver to the Ishmaelites, who took him  to Egypt. – Genesis 37:28

Genesis 39:   Now Joseph had been taken down to Egypt. Potiphar, an Egyptian who was one of Pharaoh's officials, the captain of the guard, bought him from the Ishmaelites who had taken him there.  2 The LORD was with Joseph and he prospered, and he lived in the house of his Egyptian master.  3 When his master saw that the LORD was with him and that the LORD gave him success in everything he did,  4 Joseph found favor in his eyes and became his attendant. Potiphar put him in charge of his household, and he entrusted to his care everything he owned.  5 From the time he put him in charge of his household and of all that he owned, the LORD blessed the household of the Egyptian because of Joseph. The blessing of the LORD was on everything Potiphar had, both in the house and in the field.

6 So he left in Joseph's care everything he had; with Joseph in charge, he did not concern himself with anything except the food he ate. Now Joseph was well-built and handsome,  7 and after a while his master's wife took notice of Joseph and said, "Come to bed with me!“  8 But he refused. "With me in charge," he told her, "my master does not concern himself with anything in the house; everything he owns he has entrusted to my care.  9 No one is greater in this house than I am. My master has withheld nothing from me except you, because you are his wife. How then could I do such a wicked thing and sin against God?“  10 And though she spoke to Joseph day after day, he refused to go to bed with her or even be with her.

Joseph’s re-training

God trained Joseph to do the will of others rather than himself.

Doing the will of God became the greatest joy of his life

Application

Regularly practice self denial

doing good things you do not want to do

ie:    -parking far away so that you walk

-taking the stairs not the elevator

-driving in the slow lane

-buying for others rather than yourself

-not buying at all

“When shopping I ask myself several questions before making a purchase. Do I need it? Can I afford it? Can I use it to glorify God! Could I use the money in a more constructive way? Will it be of benefit to my effectiveness for Christ? What kind of impact will it have on our family?”

Application

2. Train others to have self denial

Let kids cry rather than giving them everything they want

Don’t always let your spouse have what they want.

ie: meat-less meals

Don’t let them buy whatever they want

question their purchases and activities

Application

2. Train others to have self denial

Let kids cry rather than giving them everything they want

Don’t always let your spouse have what they want.

ie: meat-less meals

Don’t let them buy whatever they want

question their purchases and activities

3. Focus on building community at church

Regularly involve yourself in church activities

prayer meeting, sports after lunch, etc

Sermon Date Subject Scripture Speaker Name
Aug 16, 2009 Worship as warfare (928) 2 Chronicles 20 Rev. Billy Chung
Nov 02, 2008 Wise guys - Ephesians 5:15-20 Rev. Billy Chung
May 16, 2010 Trusting God (1987) Proverbs 3:5 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 26, 2009 True community (305) Acts 2:4247 Rev. Billy Chung
Nov 16, 2008 The Secret To Success - Being Filled With the Holy Spirit - Ephesians 5:18 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 20, 2008 The Lord's Supper Matthew 26:26-29 Rev. Billy Chung
Dec 28, 2008 The Healing of a Demon-possessed Man (935) Mark 5:1-20 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 19, 2009 Teaching and the Lord's Supper (1801) Acts 2:42-47 Rev. Billy Chung
Apr 19, 2009 Suffering - God's character building instrument - Romans 5 Rev. Billy Chung
Oct 11, 2009 Spiritual gifts - 1 Corinthians 12:1-11 (831) 1 Corinthians 12:1-11 Rev. Billy Chung
Dec 13, 2009 Shield of faith - Ephesians 6:16 (1087) Ephesians 6:11-18 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 23, 2009 Sharing (673) Acts 2:42-47 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 06, 2008 Serving God Acts 13:36 Rev. Billy Chung
Apr 11, 2010 Sermon (413) Rev. Billy Chung
May 02, 2010 Sermon (1752) Rev. Billy Chung
Jan 04, 2009 Seeking Wisdom and Joy (295) Proverbs 3:13-16 Rev. Billy Chung
Oct 05, 2008 Seeking joy and God's honor by serving 1 Peter 4:10,11 Rev. Billy Chung
Dec 20, 2009 Seeing and Seeking God - Matthew 2 (854) Matthew 2:112 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 03, 2008 Running The Race 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 Rev. Billy Chung
Apr 04, 2010 Resurrection Sunday 2010 (532) John 12:23-36 Rev. Billy Chung
Tag List

XE Login