|Sermon Date:||May 30, 2010|
|Speaker Name:||Rev. Billy Chung|
Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. 29"Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. 30"For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."
Insomnia affect 70 millions Americans and causes 38,000 deaths a year. It affects half of all people over 65. Not knowing the answers to the questions: "What is the meaning of |ife?, Is there life after death?, Who am I?" will steal your rest.
To work hard and be at the point of total exhaustion
Just as you would be tired if you carried around luggage all day, you get tired by carrying around burdens all day- burdens you are not meant to carry. Unnecessary worry is like carrying out a 50 pound bag of garbage; it tires you out without helping you in any way. Trying to be God in control of your life and the lives of others is very very tiring
That is a perfect passive participle which means at some point in time somebody dumped a load on you and you’re carrying it. And you’re enduring some incredible load. It’s not bad enough that you’re working hard but you’re doing it with 400 pounds on your back and people keep stacking more on
top of that. When a dad sees his 5 year old son trying to carry a heavy suitcase, he says to him, "Put it down; I will carry it. In the same way, God says to us, "Iet me carry it."
You don't have to know what will happen tomorrow; you only need to know that Jesus loves you and will help us in your time of need.
"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they will not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you.- Isaiah 43:2
For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin.
16Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. — Hebrews 4:16
For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.
For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." So we may Iooldly say: "The LORD is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?"
Matthew 1:1-17 is a genealogy of Jesus.
a way of introduction
Proof of qualification
ie: priests you would have to show in their genealogy that you were descended from the line of
Aaron, the first high priest of Israel.
• like resumes do nowadays.
Just like resumes, you don't want anything in your genealogy that is a blot or a blemish. You don't
want anybody in your genealogy that is not going to make you look good
• Women were excluded in most ancient genealogies.
— Why? Because women just didn't have much status back then, but here, in the genealogy of Jesus, highlighted for everyone to see are five women.
• Gentiles in this genealogy. That's another
• Terrible sinners in the genealogy:
a prostitute — Rahab
murderer and backstabber - David
child killer - Manasseh - 2 Ch 33
and Jesse the father of King David. David was
the father of Solomon, whose mother had been
2 Chronicles 33 describes how wicked Manasseh was and how he repented. He was included in the genealogy of Jesus.
When David was on the run from King Saul, when he was in hiding in the wilderness, and a fugitive, there were a group of men who became
fugitives and outlaws voluntarily to come around him, to surround him, to protect him, to fight for him. They laid their lives on the line for David, and Uriah was one of these men. David betrayed Uriah and had him killed. David’s sin was great but God’s forgiveness and faithfulness was greater.
The stories of sinful people is the story Matthew wants you to see in this genealogy of Jesus.
• Adultery, incest, prostitution, liars, etc
are all in Jesus' genealogy.
• The law of God said these people could not
enter into the presence of God, and yet here they are in Jesus' genealogy.
• It doesn't matter who you are.
• It does not matter what you've done.
• It doesn't matter how little or how much
you've accomplished. The grace of Jesus Christ can cover you.
The genealogy of Jesus is a reminder and encouragement to us that
in any situation, in any circumstance, no matter how hopeless it seems God can break through. God can break through. This shows us that God is not paralyzed by our past sin, not is He paralzyed by the sins of humanity.
He is able to change great sinners and use them in His great plan.
There is always hope because God is always at work.
EVERYONE NEEDS GOD'S GRACE.
In Jesus Christ, we all sit at the same table. Kings
and prostitutes, housewives and princes,
-MaIes and females
-Jews and Gentiles
-MoraI people and immoral people
you too can sit at the table of the King.
• Knowing this will free you from insecurity.
• Knowing this will free you from this nagging sense
• Knowing this will free you from the endless pursuit of trying to proof yourself
• Knowing this will give your soul rest
• we used to get our identity from family and community, but now the culture is different.
• Now your identity and your value is something
you have to earn. You have to achieve it.
• Before work was something you did to provide
food, shelter and clothing for your family
But now, external things are your identity
Your worth is based on your physical appearance.
Your worth is based on S, intelligence, education, etc
If you let anything other than Christ define
you, it will grind you down. You will always be
on this treadmill of self-justification, always be
haunted by questions of whether you're doing
enough, and never feeling you are doing
• In Genesis 2, it says, "On the seventh day of
creation, God rested." That's right. So the
• seventh day became a day of rest.
• The 7th YEAR was something known as the
Sabbath year where you were supposed to let
your land lie fallow so that the land could rest
• in Leviticus 25, every seventh Sabbath year, every
• seventh seven years, was a year known as the
Jubilee. In the Jubilee year, every debt was
forgiven. Every slave was freed, and everyone who
had lost their land got it back.
• They were to celebrate the Jubilee by reflecting
upon the ultimate rest and freedom God was
eventually going to bring, the ultimate freedom
God was eventually going to bring.
Base your identity not in what you have
accomplished, but in what has been accomplished for you.
• Because of Christ
• you are saved by grace,
• you are loved by the King,
• you are free from needing to prove yourself.
• You'II get rest from seeking the approval of other people.
• The prophets foretold one day a Messiah would come and usher in the Jubilee, and He would say these words, and this comes from the prophet
• Isaiah 61:1
"The Spirit of the Lord is upon me because He has anointed me to preach good news to the poon He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the captive, release for the prisoners, and proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor "
• Matthew lays out his genealogy in a three sets of 14.
• Fourteen (2 7's) from Abraham to David
• 14 from David to the exile (2 7's)
• 14 from the exile to Christ (2 7's)
• Christ is the seventh Sabbath
• Matthew is saying, "The freedom, the liberation, the rest, the shalom, the good news of the Jubilee, that is going to come through Jesus. Jesus is the fulfillment of the Jubilee. He is the one the Jubilee
was pointing to.
You can release the lives of your loved ones from your hands. It is a heavy burden. Sure, you can pray for them and you can speak into their lives when appropriate, but ultimately, you have to find the rest that comes from giving them over into the hands of a God who is more passionate about them than you are, and who is passionate about
redemption and restoration.
1. Regularly practice rest.
(sleep at least 7 hours a day)
2. Reflect and rejoice.
-Reflect on God’s faithfulness and love.
-Thank Him and worship Him.
3. Don’t try to do too much in 1 day.
|I want to change. (2864)|
|Rest for the weary (1387)|
|Following Christ (1326)|
|Trusting God (1987)|
|Mind for ministry (647)|
|Love is not easily provoked (716)|
|Resurrection Sunday 2010 (532)|
|Love is not self seeking - (766)|
|Love is not proud. (798)|
|Love is patient (599)|
|Love does not envy. (2016)|
|Love is kind. (2221)|
|Dealing with anger (997)|
|Galatians 6:7 - Healthy boundaries (1493)|
|Killing anger (734)|
|Keep praying (breathing) (686)|
|Jeesung's Testimony (387)|
|Ephesians 6:17 - Using the Sword of the Spirit (2543)|