John Ahn
Views : 22899
2008.07.11 (19:05:32)
Sermon Date:  Jul 06, 2008 
Speaker Name:  Rev. Billy Chung 
Scripture:  Acts 13:36 
Passage:  For when David had served God's purpose in his own generation, he fell asleep; he was buried with his fathers and his body decayed. 

Introduction - Seinfeld

Seinfeld was a very popular TV show.   Seinfeld is an Emmy Award-winning American situation comedy that originally aired on NBC from July 5, 1989 to May 14, 1998, lasting nine seasons. The show led the Arthur Nielsen Media Research Ratings in its sixth and ninth seasons and finished among the top two (along with NBC's ER) every year from 1994 to 1998.[1] In 2002, TV Guide named Seinfeld as the greatest American television program of all time .  Some viewers hold the belief that the world view presented in Seinfeld is somewhat consistent with the philosophy of nihilism, the view that life is pointless.  A study was done on it to determine why it was so popular. The study found that it was popular because it had no plot, no direction. It wasn't like a drama in which the story develops and continues.

Plotless people love plotless shows. The majority of people who liked the show also lived lives without purpose. They could relate to the show.

Many people are dying to go to leave home and go to college.

Once they get to college, they are dying to get a job and start making money and starting a career.

Then they are dying to get their own home.

Then they are dying to get married and have children.

Then they are dying to have their children grow out of diapers and sleep through the night.

Then they are dying to have their children go to college.

Then they are dying to have their children graduate from college so that they don't have to pay their tuition anymore.

They they are dying to retire so that they can relax and play.

After they retire, they are dying to have grandchildren.

Now they are just dying and never got around to living.

Many young people wear uniforms with someone else's name on it, wanting to be someone else.

David's purpose in life was to worship and serve God.

He lived to fulfill God's plans for his life.

He was one of the most joyful, Spirit filled Christians who have every lived.

God's purposeEphesians 2:8-10

Your purpose is clearly stated in this verse; He created you so that you'd worship Him and also do good works.

God created you to show the world what He is like.

He created you to bless others, not yourself.

A TV doesn't exist to entertain itself. It exists to provide news and entertainment for others.

A refrigerator doesn't exist to provide food for itself. It exists to store food for others.

Toasters don't eat their own toast. A toaster exists to slightly burn bread.

A computer doesn't check its own email.   A computer exists to help its owner fulfill his/her purpose.

Your purpose is not your happiness. Your purpose is not to become a millionaire. Your purpose is not                 to become famous.

Your purpose is not to have a filled with possessions, prestige, and pleasure.

Your purpose is to bless others by doing good works.

You weren't created for yourself.

God did not create me for myself.

He created me for Himself and for others (my wife, children, parents, nieces, nephews, etc, church, friends, co-workers, etc).

God created David not for David.

God created David for God's glory, for God's nation, and for his family and the nation of Israel.

Jesus purpose was clear: seek and save the lost by dying on the cross for them

His purpose was not to have fun

His purpose was not to become rich

His purpose was not to become famous

His purpose was not to be a pastor of a large church

2. You don't get to decide your purpose.

In order to know God's purpose for your life, you have ask your Creator.

God's purpose for your life is always bigger than you.

Ie: God's purpose for Adam and Eve was to fill the earth with children who were just like God.

God's purpose for David

3. When your purpose is to worship and serve God, God will fill your heart with joy. - Mrs. Cho

This week, I met a very special woman of God. She is visiting from parents from Korea. She used to be a pastor's wife but her husband died about 3 years ago after over 50 years of marriage. You would expect someone like her to be sad or depressed or angry. She is not like that at all. She has a great smile which shows her joy.  Of course, she was heartbroken after her husband died but fortunately, the purpose of her life was not him. Her purpose is to worship God and serve Him. Right now, she teaches older Korean adults how to play musical instruments such as the guitar or piano.

Signs that you are not living according to God's purpose

Depression – Mike

making tons and tons of money

huge home

loving wife, cute child

but depressed because he was living for himself

Doctor told him he had to wake up early to sit in front of a special lamp

As he did that ever morning, Mike read the Bible and prayed and life was

changed

He is still a lawyer but helping churches and Christians resolve conflicts

peacefully

He meets with other Christian lawyers weekly for Bible study, prayer.

His depression has been replaced with joy.

Addiction to alcohol, drugs, TV, internet, another person

Frustration

David fell asleep.

Every moment you and I are getting closer and closer to death.

We don't know who is old and who is young.

If you are 25 but going to live only 5 more years that means you are very old.

If you are 50 but going to live 50 more years, you are very young.

Application:

1. Seek God's purpose for your life.  - 2 Timothy 4:2 is my life verse....ask God to show you your life verse.

2. Do not get drunk on anything (Reduce or eliminate life/time wasters) – Ephesians 5:18

I got drunk looking for computer sales and by selling things to buy a computer.

I realized this process was taking my focus off God and God's purpose so I finally bought a computer. I could have waited until prices dropped but I realized I had wasted too much of God's time and didn't want to lose any more. I am so glad now that I no longer search the internet looking for computer deals. I have more time to focus on my life purpose.

3. Remember your purpose – Hank Aaron

Yogi Berra was a well-known Yankees catcher. Once Henry Aaron of Milwaukee (who hit the most home runs in history—755) was batting against the Yankees in the World Series. Aaron was at bat and Berra was trying to distract him: “Henry, you’re holding the bat wrong. You’re supposed to hold it so that you can read the trademark.” Aaron didn’t say a thing. When the next pitch came, he hit it into the left field bleachers. After jogging around the bases, Aaron went past Yogi Berra and said, “I didn’t come up here to read.” We are here on this earth for no other reason than to glorify God and preach the kingdom. Billy Sunday said, “More men fail through lack of purpose than lack of talent.”

4. Serve others according to your purpose.

Serve your family   - Preaching love and grace to Joshua

Serve your church members

Serve God in your work/school.

5. Evaluate your day and week according to your purpose.

I am wondering what message I am preaching to my family through my life and actions.

6. Remind yourself of your purpose. - www.lettermelater.com

Acts 13:36

"For when David had served God's purpose in his own generation, he fell asleep; he was buried with his fathers and his body decayed."

2 Timothy 4:2

Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage-- with great patience and careful instruction.

Ephesians 2:8-10

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-- and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--  9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

10 For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Ephesians 5:18

Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.

Sermon Date Subject Scripture Speaker Name
Nov 16, 2008 The Secret To Success - Being Filled With the Holy Spirit - Ephesians 5:18 Rev. Billy Chung
Nov 02, 2008 Wise guys - Ephesians 5:15-20 Rev. Billy Chung
Oct 05, 2008 Seeking joy and God's honor by serving 1 Peter 4:10,11 Rev. Billy Chung
Sep 21, 2008 Prayer Part 6 - Prayer that God answers 1 John 5:14,15 Rev. Billy Chung
Sep 14, 2008 Prayer part 5 - Supplication (Praying for fellow soldiers) Ephesians 6:10-22 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 17, 2008 Prayer part 1 - Adoration Psalm 73 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 24, 2008 Prayer part 2 - Casting Your Burdens Upon God 1 Peter 5:6,7 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 31, 2008 Prayer part 3 - Come Home Luke 15:11-32 Rev. Billy Chung
Sep 07, 2008 Prayer part 4 - Expressing Thanks Luke 17:11-19 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 10, 2008 A Church That Pleases God Matthew 25:31-46 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 03, 2008 Running The Race 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 27, 2008 Open My Eyes Mark 10:46-52 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 20, 2008 The Lord's Supper Matthew 26:26-29 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 13, 2008 May God bless you. Numbers 6:22-27 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 06, 2008 Serving God Acts 13:36 Rev. Billy Chung
Tag List

XE Login