Views : 18649
2008.07.15 (17:19:54)
Sermon Date:  Jul 13, 2008 
Speaker Name:  Rev. Billy Chung 
Scripture:  Numbers 6:22-27 
Passage:  22 The LORD said to Moses, 23 "Tell Aaron and his sons, 'This is how you are to bless the Israelites. Say to them:

24 " ' "The LORD bless you
and keep you;

25 the LORD make his face shine upon you
and be gracious to you;

26 the LORD turn his face toward you
and give you peace." '

27 "So they will put my name on the Israelites, and I will bless them." 

Benediction – Literally means good word

Bene – good

diction – word

Definition of benediction: A blessing pronounced by an officiating minister at the end of a religious service.

An utterance of good wishes

It is a blessing spoken by God's representative to a person or group

What does blessing mean? It is an undeserved gift from God. It is an expression of His great love.

A benediction is a verbal undeserved gift from God spoken by God's representative to a person or group

Background:

God told Moses to tell Aaron and his son (priests) to start this practice.

The Jewish worship service began with the people saying Deuteronomy 6:4-9 together. Then the speaker for the day would lead the people in prayer as they stood facing Jerusalem with their hands extended. At the end of the prayer, the people would say Amen together. Then the speaker would read God's word while an interpreter would translate it into Aramaic and the speaker would give the sermon. At the end of the worship service, the priest would have a benediction and the people would say Amen. Since most of the first Christians came from Jewish backgrounds, Christian worship services began to follow this tradition as well.

3 Aspects of benediction

God-centeredness, in the sense that God is the one whose blessing is invoked and who is understood to be the source of the blessings of grace and peace; (2)

1. In the OT the formal benediction was pronounced by the Aaronic priests (Num 6:24–26; 2 Chron 30:27), while NT benedictions are pronounced by the apostles in their epistles.

2. an aura of authority, so that the pronouncing of them by God’s qualified and special agents not only expresses a wish but actually passes along (confers) God’s blessing on the recipient.

Once a benediction is spoken, it can't be reversed.

Gen 27:28-33 tells us the story of how Jacob lied to his elderly father Isaac and stole his brother's blessing. After Isaac found out about what Jacob did, he said, “Then Isaac  1trembled violently, and said, “ aWho was he then that hunted game and brought it to me, so that I ate of all of it before you came, and blessed him?  bYes, and he shall be blessed.” Once Isaac blessed Jacob, it could not be reversed. Even though Jacob didn't deserve to be blessed, God blessed him greatly. He changed his name and character and used Him to be a blessing.

The influence of these words runs through the Bible (Pss. 67; 121; 122; 124; 128). Paul’s letters begin with a greeting which always uses the words ‘grace’ and ‘peace’ (e.g. Rom. 1:7; 1 Cor. 1:3; and 2 Tim. 1:2 adds ‘mercy’). In most cases Paul says the grace and peace are from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, and without doubt he is taking up the priestly blessing.

Nu 6:22 The LORD said to Moses,

23 "Tell Aaron and his sons, 'This is how you are to bless the Israelites. Say to them:

24 "'"The LORD bless you and keep you;

25 the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you;

26 the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace." '

27 "So they will put my name on the Israelites, and I will bless them."

v24 – The Lord bless you and keep you

God wants to express His love for you so that you receive what is good.

He wants what is best for you.

He wants you to have peace not anxiety and worry.

He wants you to laugh not cry.

He wants you to be healthy, not sick but there are times when He uses sickness for growth.

He wants you to have hope and not be discouraged.

He wants you to have healthy relationships with your family, friends and neighbors.

He wants you to be successful in your studies and career.

He is not a policeman looking to catch you doing something wrong so that he can punish you.

He enjoys expressing His love for you.

God also wants you to protect you from what is bad.

God will only allow you to experience what is ultimately for your good. What is good? Anyone or anything that makes you more like Christ is good.

John Piper uses this illustration.

God may allow a Christian to have a car accident and break his leg in the process because when he goes to the doctor, the doctor discovers that the person has cancer in the bone marrow.

25 the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; - Exodus 34:28-30

May God grant you the joy of knowing Him and being in His presence.

This verse probably refers to Moses being in God's presence o the top of Mount Sinai. There, God appeared to Moses and revealed Himself to him. Moses saw God's beauty and seeing God's beauty changed him. (Exodus 34:28-30)

Moses was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights without eating bread or drinking water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant-- the Ten Commandments. 29 When Moses came down from Mount Sinai with the two tablets of the Testimony in his hands, he was not aware that his face was radiant because he had spoken with the LORD. 30 When Aaron and all the Israelites saw Moses, his face was radiant, and they were afraid to come near him.

In Middle eastern culture at that time, individuals generally did not see their kings or rulers just like you and I don't set up an appointment to talk to President Bush one to one. From the book of Esther, we can learn that anyone who entered the presence of the king of Persia without an invitation could be killed.

God's desire is that you enter His presence every day and experience His joy.

He never wants you to leave His presence. If you feel far and distant from God, God is not the one who has stepped away.

He wants you to be in His presence and be filled with joy.

A Christian named Stephen was told he had to stop using his voice or he might lose the ability to speak and sing.

He had to decide what to do. He loved to express his love for God by singing but he also wanted to keep his voice. He thought even if it means losing my voice, I am going to praise God. God gave him a song, “My God and my King. I worship you and lift you up forever and ever.” His joy being in God's presence and worshiping Him is the greatest joy in his life.

I pray that in addition to the joy of being in God's presence, we'd experience the joy of serving Him.

There are joys we feel that nothing in this world can provide.

These moments come when we do what we've been created to do.

When I write a card to my wife and she likes it, I feel joy.

When I pray with Joshua and later hear him pray, “please help me and abba preach your Word this Sunday, I have joy.

When Anna laughs when I tickle her, I have joy.

The film Chariots of Fire tells, in part, the story of Eric Liddell, a gold medalist at the 1924 Olympics and later a missionary to China.

During the summer of 1924, the Olympics were hosted by the city of Paris. Liddell was a committed Christian and refused to run on Sunday (the Sabbath), with the consequence that he was forced to withdraw from the 100 metres race, his best event. The schedule had been published several months earlier, and his decision was made well before the Games began. Liddell spent the intervening months training for the 400 metres, an event in which he had previously excelled. Even so, his success in the 400m was largely unexpected. The day of 400 metres race came, and as Liddell went to the starting blocks, an American masseur slipped a piece of paper in his hand with a quotation from 1 Samuel 2:30, "Those who honor me I will honor." Liddell ran with that piece of paper in his hand. He not only won the race, but broke the existing world record with a time of 47.6 seconds.

Eric Liddell: I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure.

26 the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace (shalom)

May God pay attention to you and bless you in every way.

You never have to try getting God's attention.

You don't have to change your hair style, hair color, makeup, or clothes to get God to notice you. There is not one second when God is not looking at you. You have His full undivided attention all the time. He is always looking at you with love.

This verse expresses God's desire for you to know Him and be have peace (shalom). He wants you to be blessed in every way.

In heaven everyone will be rich. We will have treasure in heaven. Treasure in heaven means

perfect health

perfect relationships

perfect joy

fun and fulfilling job

you will be amazed by God's beauty and the beauty of God's creation

This verse points forward to heaven when we will be with God and see His face.

Revelation 22:3,4 No longer will there be any curse. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and his servants will serve him.

4 They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads.

The last thing Jesus did before returning to heaven was blessing His disciples. - Luke 24:50-53

Genesis 27:28-33

May God give you of heaven's dew and of earth's richness-- an abundance of grain and new wine. 29 May nations serve you and peoples bow down to you. Be lord over your brothers, and may the sons of your mother bow down to you. May those who curse you be cursed and those who bless you be blessed." 30 After Isaac finished blessing him and Jacob had scarcely left his father's presence, his brother Esau came in from hunting. 31 He too prepared some tasty food and brought it to his father. Then he said to him, "My father, sit up and eat some of my game, so that you may give me your blessing."

32 His father Isaac asked him, "Who are you?" "I am your son," he answered, "your firstborn, Esau." 33 Isaac trembled violently and said, "Who was it, then, that hunted game and brought it to me? I ate it just before you came and I blessed him-- and indeed he will be blessed!"

Exodus 34:28-30

Moses was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights without eating bread or drinking water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant-- the Ten Commandments. 29 When Moses came down from Mount Sinai with the two tablets of the Testimony in his hands, he was not aware that his face was radiant because he had spoken with the LORD. 30 When Aaron and all the Israelites saw Moses, his face was radiant, and they were afraid to come near him.

Revelation 22:3,4 
    No longer will there be any curse. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and his servants will serve him.  4 They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads.

Luke 24:50-53
          When he had led them out to the vicinity of Bethany, he lifted up his hands and blessed them.
 51 While he was blessing them, he left them and was taken up into heaven.
 52 Then they worshiped him and returned to Jerusalem with great joy.
 53 And they stayed continually at the temple, praising God.

Sermon Date Subject Scripture Speaker Name
Nov 16, 2008 The Secret To Success - Being Filled With the Holy Spirit - Ephesians 5:18 Rev. Billy Chung
Nov 02, 2008 Wise guys - Ephesians 5:15-20 Rev. Billy Chung
Oct 05, 2008 Seeking joy and God's honor by serving 1 Peter 4:10,11 Rev. Billy Chung
Sep 21, 2008 Prayer Part 6 - Prayer that God answers 1 John 5:14,15 Rev. Billy Chung
Sep 14, 2008 Prayer part 5 - Supplication (Praying for fellow soldiers) Ephesians 6:10-22 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 17, 2008 Prayer part 1 - Adoration Psalm 73 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 24, 2008 Prayer part 2 - Casting Your Burdens Upon God 1 Peter 5:6,7 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 31, 2008 Prayer part 3 - Come Home Luke 15:11-32 Rev. Billy Chung
Sep 07, 2008 Prayer part 4 - Expressing Thanks Luke 17:11-19 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 10, 2008 A Church That Pleases God Matthew 25:31-46 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 03, 2008 Running The Race 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 27, 2008 Open My Eyes Mark 10:46-52 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 20, 2008 The Lord's Supper Matthew 26:26-29 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 13, 2008 May God bless you. Numbers 6:22-27 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 06, 2008 Serving God Acts 13:36 Rev. Billy Chung
Tag List

XE Login