Views : 21683
2008.08.12 (13:10:41)
Sermon Date:  Aug 10, 2008 
Speaker Name:  Rev. Billy Chung 
Scripture:  Matthew 25:31-46 
Passage:  31 "When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. 34 "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' 37 "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' 40 "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' 41 "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.' 44 "They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?' 45 "He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.' 46 "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life." 

A Church that pleases God

Today, I am going to talk about our goal as a church. Our goal is not to become a large or famous church. Our goal is to be church that pleases God.

I believe in order to please God as a church, we need to continually offer God 4 T's.

TIME, TITHE, TALENTS, TESTIMONY

1. Time

We want to be a church that expresses our love for God by spending time with Him.

We want all of our church members to spend time with God daily. I believe that the number of people attending a church is overemphasized. Jesus didn't try to attract large crowds. His number one purpose was to tell people how to to be saved and to die on the cross. His secondary purpose was to make disciples who would carry on His work after He returned to heaven.

He taught them His Word, how to pray, and how to worship.

Sometimes Jesus and the disciples were so busy teaching people and healing them that they didn't even have time to eat. However, regardless of how busy He was, He always set aside time to meet with His Father.- Mark 1:35

Reasons why people don't spending time with God

Wrong view of God

Many people think that God is a strict and powerful Policeman in the sky. They know He is powerful, but they don’t really believe that He loves them so much and really wants to help them.

Isaiah 49:15

This verse describes God not as a strict judge, but as a compassionate father. He is always looking at you. He never takes His eyes off you, even for a second.

When I first became a Christian, I thought being a Christian meant asking Jesus to forgive me for my sins and then living life by myself. I never asked God to help me play basketball well or do well in school. It wasn’t until much later on that I realized that Christian life is Christ living with me to help me in every area of my life. He wants you to be healthy physically. He wants you to have a fulfilling job. He wants you to have great friendships. He wants you to do well in school. He wants you to have a close relationship with your parents.

No relationship with God

I believe there are lots of people attending church throughout the world who think they Christians just because they have intellectual knowledge about God. I was one of them. For many years, I attended church and thought I was a Christian. I knew the Bible stores and my father was a pastor. I attended church every Sunday and I sometimes prayed so I assumed I was a Christian but I wasn't.

If you never spend time with God, it shows you don’t love God. You may love the gifts that He provides such as

Health, food, home, games, $, friendships, family, computers, cds

When you really love someone, you want to spend time with them. My wife and I didn’t buy each other Christmas gifts this year. She is God’s gift to me. Since I have her, I am not upset that I didn’t get a gift from her. I enjoy having her as my wife and being with her more than I value having a dvd or new car or a new $1000 suit or brand new sports car.

Distractions

The enemy of the best is the good. Spending time with God is the best activity; therefore other good activities are bad if they interfere with the best.

Reduce them or cut them out completely if they cause you to ignore God.

If you are too busy for God, then you have too many activities in your life, activities that God did not intend for you to have. One of Satan’s strategies is to make you so busy so that you ignore God. You may think you are okay if you don’t smoke or drink alcohol or do drugs or sleep around. However, ignoring God just as great a sin as any of those other sins.

Jesus told Martha that her sister Mary had chosen what was better. Jesus is more concerned that you spend time with Him than He is about what you do for Him.

Listen carefully worship team members. God is not pleased if you play instruments well for Him while ignoring Him.

(Look at too busy not to pray)

Lack of desire

A lack of desire is caused by unconfessed sin and idols – John 3:19,20

If you keep falling asleep when you try praying, listening to sermons, and read the Word, it is probably a sign that some other desire has become greater than your love for God. That desire for something else is like a weed choking out your desire for God.

Examine your heart. When you are at home, do you have passion to get closer to Christ? How does your desire to know Christ compare to your desire for money, for fun, for movies, for sex, for sports, for a boyfriend or girlfriend, etc.

Be honest with God. Tell Him that your desire for things and people is greater than your desire for Him. Confess your idols and ask for greater desire for Him. God creates desire out of nothing.

(Have people repeat a prayer.)

If you have no desire or very little desire for God, either you are not a Christian or you have the wrong view of God or something in our heart has drained your love for God. It could be unforgiveness toward someone or love for this world.

Anna loves being with her mom. She is looking for her and constantly wants to be with her mom. The feeling is mutual. That is a normal healthy relationship. If that were to change, it would be a sign that something is wrong.

1. I draw closer to God by talking to Him.

b. I draw closer to God as I meditate on the Bible.

c. I draw closer to God as I worship Him.

Have a set time and a set place to spend time with God.

It is probably best to spend time in the morning.

For those of you who are not morning people, then set aside a place and a time to meet with God in the evening.

If you have a close relationship with God, you have everything.

If you have everything, but don’t have a close relationship with God, you have nothing.

2. Testimony – 1 Peter 3:15,16

Give your testimony about Christ. That means telling others about Jesus Christ.

These verses tell us that we should always be ready to tell others about Jesus.

A testimony can explain how you became a Christian and what difference knowing Jesus has made in your life.

A testimony can also explain how God has blessed you since you've become a Christian.

We want our church to be a place with all of our members, not just a few people, have testimonies about how God has changed them and blessed them.

3. Tithe - Malachi 3:8-12

Believing that everything I have is from God, I express my trust in God and thankfulness to God by giving Him at least 10% of my money. (Malachi 3:10)

If you want to be blessed, then tithe.

1. Not tithing = robbing God. (Malachi 3:8,9)

If you knew your worker was stealing from you, would you give him a raise?

Many people wonder why God isn’t blessing them more even though they aren’t tithing.

1. If I don’t have enough money to help people in need, I am spending too much money for myself.

1. God promises to bless those who tithe more than they can imagine. (Malachi 3:10)

You can never outgive God.

God giving me $1000 after I started tithing.

God has provided hundreds of books through my wife and dad.

God has provided dozens of cds through my mission organization.

God has provided an abundance of food and clothes.

God has provided nice places to live, large screen TVs, cars with 40,000 miles on it for $1800, laptop computers, thousands of dollars, everything I need.

If you want to be blessed, tithe.

4. TalentsMatthew 25:31-46, 1 Peter 4:10

I express my love for God by using my talents (abilities, money, time, and possessions) to help people.

1. I need to arrange my schedule so that I have time to help people in need.

God will reward me for helping people both here on earth and in heaven.

Mark 1:35 Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.

1 Peter 3:15,16 But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16 keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.

John 3:19,20 This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.

Isaiah 49:15 "Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!

Malachi 3:8-12 "Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me. "But you ask, 'How do we rob you?' "In tithes and offerings. 9 You are under a curse-- the whole nation of you-- because you are robbing me. 10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it. 11 I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not cast their fruit," says the LORD Almighty. 12 "Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land," says the LORD Almighty.

1 Peter 4:10 Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.

Matthew 25:31-46 31 "When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. 34 "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' 37 "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' 40 "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' 41 "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.' 44 "They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?' 45 "He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.' 46 "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

Sermon Date Subject Scripture Speaker Name
Nov 16, 2008 The Secret To Success - Being Filled With the Holy Spirit - Ephesians 5:18 Rev. Billy Chung
Nov 02, 2008 Wise guys - Ephesians 5:15-20 Rev. Billy Chung
Oct 05, 2008 Seeking joy and God's honor by serving 1 Peter 4:10,11 Rev. Billy Chung
Sep 21, 2008 Prayer Part 6 - Prayer that God answers 1 John 5:14,15 Rev. Billy Chung
Sep 14, 2008 Prayer part 5 - Supplication (Praying for fellow soldiers) Ephesians 6:10-22 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 17, 2008 Prayer part 1 - Adoration Psalm 73 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 24, 2008 Prayer part 2 - Casting Your Burdens Upon God 1 Peter 5:6,7 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 31, 2008 Prayer part 3 - Come Home Luke 15:11-32 Rev. Billy Chung
Sep 07, 2008 Prayer part 4 - Expressing Thanks Luke 17:11-19 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 10, 2008 A Church That Pleases God Matthew 25:31-46 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 03, 2008 Running The Race 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 27, 2008 Open My Eyes Mark 10:46-52 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 20, 2008 The Lord's Supper Matthew 26:26-29 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 13, 2008 May God bless you. Numbers 6:22-27 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 06, 2008 Serving God Acts 13:36 Rev. Billy Chung
Tag List

XE Login