Views : 21741
2008.10.01 (15:36:17)
Sermon Date:  Aug 24, 2008 
Speaker Name:  Rev. Billy Chung 
Scripture:  1 Peter 5:6,7 
Passage:  Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. 7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 

Prayer part 2: Casting Your Burdens Upon God

I am continuing our series on prayer. There are 5 types of prayer. An easy way to remember them is by remembering the acronym ACCTS. Thinking of the word cactus may help you.

Adoration

Casting

Confession

Thanksgiving

Supplication

60 million Americans suffer from some kind of chronic insomnia each year

Anxiety disorders affect about 40 million American adults age 18 years and older. That’s about 18% of the population in a given year. 1

Anxiety disorders are the number one mental health problem in America. National Institute of Mental Health.

Approximately 1 in 5 people aged between 16 and 59 said that they had taken at least one of the drugs.

·       People aged 18 to 21 were most likely to admit to having taken drugs, with almost half (46%) claiming to have taken them.

Prevalance of Alcoholism: estimated 15.1 million people: 15.1 million alcohol-abusing or alcohol-dependent individuals

Casting (1 Peter 5:6,7)

Another way we can communicate our hearts to God in prayer is by casting our burdens onto Him. 1 Peter 5:6,7 says, humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time,  casting all your  anxiety on Him, because He cares for you.

What these verses are saying is that God desires us to humble ourselves before Him by casting our burdens onto Him. In the original Greek, verse 6 and 7 is one sentence. In verse 7, Peter is explaining how we should humble ourselves before God. He is saying that humbling ourselves before God is done by casting all our anxieties upon Him. What is the connection between humility and telling about the things that causing us to be anxious? It requires humility to admit that we have anxieties. Proud people don’t like to admit to God, others, or even themselves that they have anxieties.

God knows everything we are feeling and thinking and He wants to help us. The Christian life is not accepting Christ and then trying to live life on your own. The Christian life is living a life of dependence on Christ 24/7.

God is telling us to cast our anxieties on Him. The reason is because God cares for you. He cares about everything that concerns you. He cares about the thing that has you worrying. He wants to be trusted for that. He wants us to trust Him with our concerns about our financial problems, relational problems,  problems at work, marital problems, health problems, etc.

God had led the Israelites out of Egypt after 400 years of slavery. They had no day of rest during those days. They cried out to the Lord, "save us!" and He did. Then it took 40 years for God to train them in the desert. Finally, they were about to go into the Promised Land. God had shown them all kinds of miracles and even promised them that He would take them into the Land of Promise, but they still sent spies to go before they went in. The report of the spies when they returned was, "The people are huge! We would be like elementary school boys against NBA players. Theyre bigger, taller, and stronger than we are. Were in trouble." So they grumbled.

The journey from Egypt to Mount Sinai where the law was given took about three months. They leave Egypt in Exodus 14 and arrive at Sinai in Exodus 19; so Exodus 15-18 describes the first leg of their wilderness journey. For almost two years the people of Israel stay at Sinai while the laws are given and the tabernacle for worship is planned and constructed. This period of time is covered in Exodus 19 to the end, all of Leviticus, and Numbers 1-10. So from Exodus 19 to Numbers 10 the people are in the wilderness of Sinai. In Numbers 10:11 the people set out from Sinai toward the promised land. They arrive at Kadesh in the Wilderness of Paran to the south of Canaan, and in Numbers 13 the 12 spies are sent in to spy out the promised land. After 40 days they return. Caleb and Joshua hand in this report: "Let us go up at once and occupy it; for we are well able to overcome it" (Numbers 13:30). But the other 10 spies oppose this decision

People of Israel – Numbers 13,14

spoke to others and each other about God

They were complaining to Moses and Aaron about God.

They were saying that they wished they had not left Egypt.

They were doubting God's love.

spoke disrespectfully to Moses

spoke disrespectfully about God – Numbers 14:11

David – Psalm 142

spoke to God directly rather than speaking to others about God

spoke to God respectfully and honestly

Suppose I overheard Joshua saying to his sister:

“I wish I had another dad.  Dad is so strict and unreasonable. He won't let me watch the TV shows that he watches. He says those shows are not good for me. Who is he to decide what is good for me. Other kids get to play video games, even the real fun games in which you get to hurt others.  His rule about food is ridiculous too. He says I can't eat chocolate and ice cream before eating dinner. ”

How do you think I would feel if I overheard him saying that about me? Of course, I'd be angry.

On the other hand, suppose Joshua spoke to me:

"Dad, I am frustrated these days. I don't understand why you won't let me watch any TV show that I want to and why I can't watch more than 1 hour a day.  Also video games are so fun. Other kids get to play them; I am jealous when I hear them talking about them. I wish we had Nintendo Wii too."

I would prefer Joshua speaking to me directly and respectfully rather than speaking disrespectfully about me to someone else.

I encourage you to slow down and take time to pray. You may have to drop or reduce other commitments, activities, and hobbies, but the rewards will far outweigh the sacrifices. Spend time with Christ. Allow Him to speak to you through His Word. Speak to Him in prayer daily; tell Him what you are frustrated about, what you are scared about, what you are angry about, etc. Be completely honest with Him. As you spend time with Christ daily, you will experience His peace, His joy, His grace, and His presence. I pray you will have this experience.

Application:
  1. Honestly and respectfully tell God exactly how you are feeling instead of 

a. Complaining to others about your life

b. trying to keep everything inside

Psalm 142:1-7

A <maskil> of David. When he was in the cave. A prayer. I cry aloud to the LORD; I lift up my voice to the LORD for mercy.  2 I pour out my complaint before him; before him I tell my trouble.  3 When my spirit grows faint within me, it is you who know my way. In the path where I walk men have hidden a snare for me.  4 Look to my right and see; no one is concerned for me. I have no refuge; no one cares for my life. I cry to you, O LORD; I say, "You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living."  6 Listen to my cry, for I am in desperate need; rescue me from those who pursue me, for they are too strong for me.  7 Set me free from my prison, that I may praise your name. Then the righteous will gather about me because of your goodness to me.

Numbers 13:27-33

They gave Moses this account: "We went into the land to which you sent us, and it does flow with milk and honey! Here is its fruit.  28 But the people who live there are powerful, and the cities are fortified and very large. We even saw descendants of Anak there.  29 The Amalekites live in the Negev; the Hittites, Jebusites and Amorites live in the hill country; and the Canaanites live near the sea and along the Jordan."  30 Then Caleb silenced the people before Moses and said, "We should go up and take possession of the land, for we can certainly do it."  31 But the men who had gone up with him said, "We can't attack those people; they are stronger than we are."  32 And they spread among the Israelites a bad report about the land they had explored. They said, "The land we explored devours those living in it. All the people we saw there are of great size.  33 We saw the Nephilim there (the descendants of Anak come from the Nephilim). We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them."

Numbers 14:1-23

That night all the people of the community raised their voices and wept aloud.  2 All the Israelites grumbled against Moses and Aaron, and the whole assembly said to them, "If only we had died in Egypt! Or in this desert!  3 Why is the LORD bringing us to this land only to let us fall by the sword? Our wives and children will be taken as plunder. Wouldn't it be better for us to go back to Egypt?"  4 And they said to each other, "We should choose a leader and go back to Egypt."  5 Then Moses and Aaron fell facedown in front of the whole Israelite assembly gathered there.  6 Joshua son of Nun and Caleb son of Jephunneh, who were among those who had explored the land, tore their clothes  7 and said to the entire Israelite assembly, "The land we passed through and explored is exceedingly good.  8 If the LORD is pleased with us, he will lead us into that land, a land flowing with milk and honey, and will give it to us.

9 Only do not rebel against the LORD. And do not be afraid of the people of the land, because we will swallow them up. Their protection is gone, but the LORD is with us. Do not be afraid of them."  10 But the whole assembly talked about stoning them. Then the glory of the LORD appeared at the Tent of Meeting to all the Israelites.  11 The LORD said to Moses, "How long will these people treat me with contempt? How long will they refuse to believe in me, in spite of all the miraculous signs I have performed among them?  12 I will strike them down with a plague and destroy them, but I will make you into a nation greater and stronger than they."

13 Moses said to the LORD, "Then the Egyptians will hear about it! By your power you brought these people up from among them.  14 And they will tell the inhabitants of this land about it. They have already heard that you, O LORD, are with these people and that you, O LORD, have been seen face to face, that your cloud stays over them, and that you go before them in a pillar of cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night.  15 If you put these people to death all at one time, the nations who have heard this report about you will say,  16 'The LORD was not able to bring these people into the land he promised them on oath; so he slaughtered them in the desert.'  17 "Now may the Lord's strength be displayed, just as you have declared:

18 'The LORD is slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin and rebellion. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation.'   19 In accordance with your great love, forgive the sin of these people, just as you have pardoned them from the time they left Egypt until now."  20 The LORD replied, "I have forgiven them, as you asked.  21 Nevertheless, as surely as I live and as surely as the glory of the LORD fills the whole earth,   22 not one of the men who saw my glory and the miraculous signs I performed in Egypt and in the desert but who disobeyed me and tested me ten times--  23 not one of them will ever see the land I promised on oath to their forefathers. No one who has treated me with contempt will ever see it.

Sermon Date Subject Scripture Speaker Name
Nov 16, 2008 The Secret To Success - Being Filled With the Holy Spirit - Ephesians 5:18 Rev. Billy Chung
Nov 02, 2008 Wise guys - Ephesians 5:15-20 Rev. Billy Chung
Oct 05, 2008 Seeking joy and God's honor by serving 1 Peter 4:10,11 Rev. Billy Chung
Sep 21, 2008 Prayer Part 6 - Prayer that God answers 1 John 5:14,15 Rev. Billy Chung
Sep 14, 2008 Prayer part 5 - Supplication (Praying for fellow soldiers) Ephesians 6:10-22 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 17, 2008 Prayer part 1 - Adoration Psalm 73 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 24, 2008 Prayer part 2 - Casting Your Burdens Upon God 1 Peter 5:6,7 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 31, 2008 Prayer part 3 - Come Home Luke 15:11-32 Rev. Billy Chung
Sep 07, 2008 Prayer part 4 - Expressing Thanks Luke 17:11-19 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 10, 2008 A Church That Pleases God Matthew 25:31-46 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 03, 2008 Running The Race 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 27, 2008 Open My Eyes Mark 10:46-52 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 20, 2008 The Lord's Supper Matthew 26:26-29 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 13, 2008 May God bless you. Numbers 6:22-27 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 06, 2008 Serving God Acts 13:36 Rev. Billy Chung
Tag List

XE Login