Views : 19742
2008.10.20 (11:05:03)
Sermon Date:  Sep 21, 2008 
Speaker Name:  Rev. Billy Chung 
Scripture:  1 John 5:14,15 
Passage:  This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. 15 And if we know that he hears us-- whatever we ask-- we know that we have what we asked of him. 

Pray according to God's Word (God's will).- 1 John 5:14,15

For those of you who were not here last week, Kyu shared how God did a miracle for him and Soko. Soko used to have a dangerous and painful medical condition that made getting pregnant extremely difficult. Not only did God enable them to get pregnant and have a healthy baby, He also healed Soko.

Many Christians pray in the same way that nonbelievers wish for on their birthday before blowing out their birthday cake.

Natural Prayer requests include:

good health, better job, safety, happy marriage, more money, peace, good relationships, etc.

Praying for these things is normal and not evil but if it is all you pray for, there is a problem. Or if your prayers are dominated by those kind requests, there is a problem. Those are natural prayers but not necessarily spiritual prayers. It means our prayers are focused on ourselves too much when they should be focused on God and His will.

When we fill our minds with God's Word and use that Word in prayer, our desires and prayers become spiritual. Our prayers then become influenced by the Holy Spirit. We begin to pray according to God's will. God's honor, the salvation of nonChristians, the spiritual well being of believers, and the desire to be obey God becomes the dominant desires of our hearts.

When our passion for God grows, we still pray for health, success in school in work, close marriage, etc but we pray that God would be pleased and revealed to the world through our marriage, through our hard work, and through our studies. When we pray according to God's Word, we are praying in the Spirit. God's will changes our minds so that we pray according to God's will which is the kind of prayer God answers.

Today, I am going to talk about prayer that God always answers. Let's turn to 1 John 5:14,15

These verses promise that if we pray according to God's will, He will answer us. What does it mean to pray according to His will?

I believe Acts 20:27 gives us a clue.

For I have not hesitated to proclaim to you the whole will of God.”

In this verse, Paul said that he proclaimed the will of God. It means he preached the Word of God.

Will of God = Word of God

Praying according to His Word = praying according to His will.

So in order to pray so that our prayers are always answered, we must pray according to God's Word.

How can we do this? - John 6:1-12

Take a passage of Scripture, and start reading it slowly. After each sentence, pause and go back and turn what you read into prayer. 

Prayer topics we can get from this story

-To focus on God and His ability rather than the problem

-To be willing to share like the young boy

-To be used by God to show His love and power to many people

-To express thanks before God answers our prayers.

Other ways we can turn the Bible into prayer

-To love God with all of our hearts – Mt 22:37

-To be controlled by His Holy Spirit – Eph 5:18

-To obey God when tempted – Mt 26:41

-To see God more clearly – Ps 119:18,

-To use our lives to joyfully serve others – 1 Peter 4:10

-For protection from the evil one – 2 Th 3:3

-That God would be pleased and revealed through your life – 1 Cor 10:31

Lean on God all the time for the miracle of joy in your life. Never give up looking to him for help. not giving up on prayer. Don’t ever come to a point in your life where you cease to pray at all.
Don’t abandon the God of hope and say, “There’s no use praying.”  Come to him repeatedly during the day and often. Make your default mental state a Godward longing for all that you need, especially for spiritual desires.

The discipline to rise early is not as difficult as the discipline of going to bed. This did not used to be so. Before electricity and radio and television and the Internet, going to bed soon after dark was not so difficult. There wasn’t much to do. Today the strongest allurements to stay up and be entertained are against us. Therefore, the battle against weariness, which makes us drowsy as soon as we open our Bible in the morning, has to be fought in the evening, not just in the morning. When you have decided when the alarm will call you to prayer, then decide when you must go to bed so that you are not exhausted when the alarm goes off. 161

Pennies in hand

A man used to play a game with his children when they were young.

He would place some coins in his hands and make a fist. His children would try to get their father's hand open to grab the coins. They would work at it until they got all the pennies in his hand. Then once they got them, they would come off his lap and run away filled with joy.

Just a game

Sometimes we come to God, wanting what is in His hand.

Lord, please help me get a good score in my Toefl test.

Lord, please help me get more money.

Lord, please help me do my work well so that I get a raise and promotion.

Lord, please provide a good husband or wife.

We reach for the blessings in God's hand rather than reaching for God's hand.

In order words, we want blessings from God more than we want God.

That is evil.

When Joshua holds onto my hand because he is scared, I am pleased because I am reminded he trusts

me.When he holds onto my hand not because of fear but because of love, I am pleased.

Acts 20:27 For I have not hesitated to proclaim to you the whole will of God.

Philippians 4:6,7 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

John 6:1-12

Some time after this, Jesus crossed to the far shore of the Sea of Galilee (that is, the Sea of Tiberias), 2 and a great crowd of people followed him because they saw the miraculous signs he had performed on the sick. 3 Then Jesus went up on a mountainside and sat down with his disciples. 4 The Jewish Passover Feast was near. 5 When Jesus looked up and saw a great crowd coming toward him, he said to Philip, "Where shall we buy bread for these people to eat?"

6 He asked this only to test him, for he already had in mind what he was going to do.

7 Philip answered him, "Eight months' wages would not buy enough bread for each one to have a bite!" 8 Another of his disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter's brother, spoke up,

9 "Here is a boy with five small barley loaves and two small fish, but how far will they go among so many?" 10 Jesus said, "Have the people sit down." There was plenty of grass in that place, and the men sat down, about five thousand of them. 11 Jesus then took the loaves, gave thanks, and distributed to those who were seated as much as they wanted. He did the same with the fish.

12 When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, "Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted."

Sermon Date Subject Scripture Speaker Name
Nov 16, 2008 The Secret To Success - Being Filled With the Holy Spirit - Ephesians 5:18 Rev. Billy Chung
Nov 02, 2008 Wise guys - Ephesians 5:15-20 Rev. Billy Chung
Oct 05, 2008 Seeking joy and God's honor by serving 1 Peter 4:10,11 Rev. Billy Chung
Sep 21, 2008 Prayer Part 6 - Prayer that God answers 1 John 5:14,15 Rev. Billy Chung
Sep 14, 2008 Prayer part 5 - Supplication (Praying for fellow soldiers) Ephesians 6:10-22 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 17, 2008 Prayer part 1 - Adoration Psalm 73 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 24, 2008 Prayer part 2 - Casting Your Burdens Upon God 1 Peter 5:6,7 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 31, 2008 Prayer part 3 - Come Home Luke 15:11-32 Rev. Billy Chung
Sep 07, 2008 Prayer part 4 - Expressing Thanks Luke 17:11-19 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 10, 2008 A Church That Pleases God Matthew 25:31-46 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 03, 2008 Running The Race 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 27, 2008 Open My Eyes Mark 10:46-52 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 20, 2008 The Lord's Supper Matthew 26:26-29 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 13, 2008 May God bless you. Numbers 6:22-27 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 06, 2008 Serving God Acts 13:36 Rev. Billy Chung
Tag List

XE Login