Views : 24371
2008.10.28 (16:33:52)
Sermon Date:  Oct 05, 2008 
Speaker Name:  Rev. Billy Chung 
Scripture:  1 Peter 4:10,11 
Passage:  Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.
11 If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen. 

When do you come alive?

I come alive when I participate in the following activities:

Preaching

playing sports

teaching sports

playing with children

eating

I don't come alive when I run backups at my computer job.

80% of people in America hate their jobs; that means they are existing but not truly living.

Serving others is commanded by God. - Serve appears 196 times in the Bible; its repeated emphasis means it is important.

In 1 Peter 4:10,11

1. God commanding Christians to use their gifts to serve others. - 1 Peter 4:10

Your gifts are primarily for others.

If you don't use your gifts, you are robbing others. - do not withhold good from others

If I talk about sports and technology rather than about God when I am up here, I am robbing you. I am withholding from you something that God wants me to pass on to you.

What would have happened if Thomas Edison didn't share the lightbulb with others?

What would have happened if Alexander Bell didn't share the telephone with others?

What would have happened if Noah didn't use obey God's command to build an ark?

What would have happened if Jesus didn't serve others and die on the cross?

What would happen if your feet try to do something it is not designed to do?

What would happen if your feet tried to be your stomach? They would get very frustrated.

2. We need to use our gifts in dependence on God (the strength God provides) – 1 Peter 4:11

How does God give us strength?

He gives spiritual strength as we eat spiritual food (meditating on His character, His Word, His works (past, present, and future)

As you meditate on the Bible or as you think about God as you sing praises, you are feeding your soul and getting spiritually stronger.

He gives spiritual strength when we pray.

Prayer is connecting to God who has unlimited power. When we pray it is like an electric shaver getting charged with a power cord. Prayer makes everything better and easier.

3. When we use our gifts to help others, God is glorified. - 1 Peter 4:11

God being glorified means 2 things:

a. God is pleased.

-pleased (if Joshua tries to comfort Anna, I am pleased.)

b. -God is (glorified) revealed when we use our gifts.

When I talk to my sister when I am discouraged, I feel much better and I am reminded of God's compassion.

When David defeated Golaith, God was glorified.

He was pleased by David's faith in Him and He also revealed His power through David's service.

-We imitate God when we serve because God is always working to serve you.

4. Your joy will increase as you use your gifts.

When I help Shin with the dishes and she is able to sleep early, I have joy watching her sleep.

When Anna wakes up scared and is screaming and I am able to hold her and help her go back to sleep, I have joy.

When I am able to help Joshua laugh rather than cry, I have joy.

When I see people wanting to study the Bible and feel more secure because of God's love for them, I have joy.

Application:

1. Have short term goals that will help you use your gifts.

Some of my weekly goals include

-Reading/listening to 100 Bible chapters

-Meditating on the passage I am going to preach on 40 times

-Reading 1 book a week

-Putting Joshua to bed 3 times/week ..... to preach God's love Shin and Joshua

-Doing laundry .......to preach God's love for Shin

2. Have accountability regarding your goals.

Passion is not enough.

Goals are not enough.

We also need accountability to help us reach our short term goals and consistently use our gifts for God's glory and our joy.

Sermon Date Subject Scripture Speaker Name
Nov 16, 2008 The Secret To Success - Being Filled With the Holy Spirit - Ephesians 5:18 Rev. Billy Chung
Nov 02, 2008 Wise guys - Ephesians 5:15-20 Rev. Billy Chung
Oct 05, 2008 Seeking joy and God's honor by serving 1 Peter 4:10,11 Rev. Billy Chung
Sep 21, 2008 Prayer Part 6 - Prayer that God answers 1 John 5:14,15 Rev. Billy Chung
Sep 14, 2008 Prayer part 5 - Supplication (Praying for fellow soldiers) Ephesians 6:10-22 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 17, 2008 Prayer part 1 - Adoration Psalm 73 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 24, 2008 Prayer part 2 - Casting Your Burdens Upon God 1 Peter 5:6,7 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 31, 2008 Prayer part 3 - Come Home Luke 15:11-32 Rev. Billy Chung
Sep 07, 2008 Prayer part 4 - Expressing Thanks Luke 17:11-19 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 10, 2008 A Church That Pleases God Matthew 25:31-46 Rev. Billy Chung
Aug 03, 2008 Running The Race 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 27, 2008 Open My Eyes Mark 10:46-52 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 20, 2008 The Lord's Supper Matthew 26:26-29 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 13, 2008 May God bless you. Numbers 6:22-27 Rev. Billy Chung
Jul 06, 2008 Serving God Acts 13:36 Rev. Billy Chung
Tag List

XE Login